The generator in your Toyota car, SUV, van, or pickup is responsible for charging the battery and also helps to power the rest of the electrical systems. Also known as an alternator, it takes the mechanical energy from the engine and transforms it into the electricity your ride needs.
How a Generator Works
The engine moves a belt that's attached to a pulley located on the rotor shaft. The rotor turns as a result, spinning magnetic coils located inside. That generates AC power, which is captured by a rectifier that then converts the energy into the DC power that operate such components as your entertainment system, wiper blades, and power windows. Sadly, though, even the best generator can eventually start to go bad.
How to Spot a Failing Generator
Often that happens without warning. However, there are some signs that your generator may be about to fail. These include:
- Dimming or flickering headlights
- Car radio malfunctions
- Issues with your power windows
- You hear a whining noise from the engine
- Your battery dies
If you're experiencing any of these symptoms, test your charging system at once. If a generator replacement is in order, be sure to get a genuine Toyota generator. It's designed to fit your model, offering the guaranteed compatibility you need. Find everything you need for the job right here in our online auto parts catalog. Buy now and save!
No results found for "Generators". Here are some helpful search tips:
- Search by a part name. Example: water pump.
- Be less specific. Example: brake instead of ceramic brake.
- Remove information such as make, year or model.
- Can't find the part you are looking for? Contact us and we'll find it for you!