Your brake drums are an integral part of your Toyota vehicle's drum brake system, along with the brake shoes or brake pads. There are four types of drum brake systems, and they're not very complicated in how they work.
How Drum Brakes Work
If your Toyota boasts regular drum brakes, the shoes or pads press on the drum's inner surface. If yours has clasp brakes, they press on the drum's outside. Pinch drums, however, press the drum between two shoes. Lastly, a band brake adds a belt that wraps around the drum. No matter which type your vehicle has, the result remains the same. When the shoe or pad presses against the drum, the resulting friction causes the wheels to slow and eventually stop turning the tires.
How to Spot a Failing Brake Drum
Even the best brake drums can eventually wear out and go bad, however. Here are signs of that failure:
- A vibrating or shuddering brake pedal
- An odd, scraping noise when you brake
- The parking brake doesn't work correctly
If you need to replace your original factory brake drums, make sure to use the best components for your model. Those are the genuine Toyota brake drums that were made with your model in mind. Find everything you need for the job in our online auto parts department. Buy now and we'll ship your order directly to your front door!
No results found for "brake drums". Here are some helpful search tips:
- Search by a part name. Example: water pump.
- Be less specific. Example: brake instead of ceramic brake.
- Remove information such as make, year or model.
- Can't find the part you are looking for? Contact us and we'll find it for you!